Article version: Enterprise Server 2.17
Types of GitHub accounts
Your user account is your identity on your GitHub Enterprise Server instance. Your user account can be a member of any number of organizations.
Every person who uses your GitHub Enterprise Server instance has their own user account, which includes:
Tip: User accounts are intended for humans, but you can give one to a robot, such as a continuous integration bot, if necessary.
Organizations are shared accounts where groups of people can collaborate across many projects at once. Owners and administrators can manage member access to the organization's data and projects with sophisticated security and administrative features.
- Unlimited membership with a variety of roles that grant different levels of access to the organization and its data
- The ability to give members a range of access permissions to your organization's repositories
- Nested teams that reflect your company or group's structure with cascading access permissions and mentions
- The ability for organization owners to view members' two-factor authentication (2FA) status
- The option to require all organization members to use two-factor authentication