When you enable unified search, users can view search results from public and private content on GitHub.com when searching from your GitHub Enterprise Server instance.
Users will not be able to search your GitHub Enterprise Server instance from GitHub.com, even if they have access to both environments. Users can only search private repositories you've enabled unified search for and that they have access to in the connected GitHub Enterprise Cloud organizations. For more information, see "About searching on GitHub" and "Enabling private GitHub.com repository search in your enterprise account."
Searching via the REST and GraphQL APIs does not include GitHub.com search results. Advanced search and searching for wikis in GitHub.com are not supported.
- Sign in to GitHub Enterprise Server and GitHub.com.
- From an administrative account on GitHub Enterprise Server, click in the upper-right corner of any page.
- In the left sidebar, click Enterprise overview.
- In the enterprise account sidebar, click Settings.
- In the left sidebar, click GitHub Connect.
- Under "Users can search GitHub.com", use the drop-down menu and click Enabled.
- Optionally, under "Users can search private repositories on GitHub.com", use the drop-down menu and click Enabled.