When you enable unified search, users can view search results from public and private content on GitHub.com when searching from your GitHub Enterprise Server instance.
After you enable unified search for your GitHub Enterprise Server instance, individual users must also connect their user accounts on GitHub Enterprise Server with their user accounts on GitHub.com in order to see search results from GitHub.com on your GitHub Enterprise Server instance. For more information, see "Enabling GitHub.com repository search in your private enterprise account."
Users will not be able to search your GitHub Enterprise Server instance from GitHub.com, even if they have access to both environments. Users can only search private repositories you've enabled unified search for and that they have access to in the connected GitHub Enterprise Cloud organizations. For more information, see "About searching on GitHub."
Searching via the REST and GraphQL APIs does not include GitHub.com search results. Advanced search and searching for wikis in GitHub.com are not supported.
- Sign in to GitHub Enterprise Server and GitHub.com.
- From an administrative account on GitHub Enterprise Server, click in the upper-right corner of any page.
- In the left sidebar, click Enterprise overview.
- In the enterprise account sidebar, click Settings.
- In the left sidebar, click GitHub Connect.
- Under "Users can search GitHub.com", use the drop-down menu and click Enabled.
- Optionally, under "Users can search private repositories on GitHub.com", use the drop-down menu and click Enabled.