You must choose or generate a password for your GitHub Enterprise account that is:
- Eight characters long, if it includes a number and a lowercase letter, or
- 16 characters long with any combination of characters
To keep your account secure, we recommend you follow these best practices:
- Use a password manager, such as LastPass or 1Password, to generate a password more than 16 characters.
- Generate a unique password for GitHub Enterprise. If you use your GitHub Enterprise password elsewhere and that service is compromised, then attackers or other malicious actors could use that information to access your GitHub Enterprise account.
- Configure two-factor authentication for your personal account. For more information, see "About two-factor authentication."
- Never share your password, even with a potential collaborator. Each person should use their own personal account on GitHub Enterprise. For more information on ways to collaborate, see: "Inviting collaborators to a personal repository," "About collaborative development models," or "Collaborating with groups in organizations."