Tip: You may reuse your existing GitHub Enterprise license file as long as the staging instance is not used for production.
To thoroughly test a GitHub Enterprise Server appliance you will need to consider external systems that interact with it. Some factors to consider testing are:
- Authentication, especially if are using an external authentication provider
- Integration with an external ticketing system
- Integration with a continuous integration server
- External scripts or software that use the GitHub Enterprise Server API
- External SMTP server for email notifications
- Perform a backup of your production instance using GitHub Enterprise Server Backup Utilities. For more information, see the "About GitHub Enterprise Server Backup Utilities" section of "Configuring backups on your appliance."
- Set up a new instance to act as your staging environment. You can use the same guides for provisioning and installing your staging instance as you did for your production instance. For more information, see "Setting up a GitHub Enterprise Server instance."
- Restore your backup onto your staging instance. For more information, see the "Restoring a backup" section of "Configuring backups on your appliance."