For a full list of features for each GitHub product, see "GitHub's products."
Every person who uses GitHub has their own user account, which includes:
- Unlimited public and private repositories with GitHub Free
- Unlimited collaborators with GitHub Free
- Additional features for private repositories with GitHub Pro
- Ability to invite repository collaborators
- You can use one account for multiple purposes, such as for personal use and business use. We do not recommend creating more than one account. For more information, see "Merging multiple user accounts."
- User accounts are intended for humans, but you can give one to a robot, such as a continuous integration bot, if necessary.
Organizations are shared accounts where groups of people can collaborate across many projects at once. Owners and administrators can manage member access to the organization's data and projects with sophisticated security and administrative features.
- A free option, GitHub Free, with unlimited collaborators on unlimited public repositories with full features and unlimited private repositories with limited features.
- The option to upgrade to GitHub Team or GitHub Enterprise Cloud for additional features, including sophisticated user authentication and management, and escalated support options. For more information, see "GitHub's products."
- Unlimited membership with a variety of roles that grant different levels of access to the organization and its data
- The ability to give members a range of access permissions to your organization's repositories
- Nested teams that reflect your company or group's structure with cascading access permissions and mentions
- The ability for organization owners to view members' two-factor authentication (2FA) status
- The option to require all organization members to use two-factor authentication
- The option to purchase a license for GitHub Advanced Security and use the features on private repositories. For more information, see "About GitHub Advanced Security."
With enterprise accounts, you can centrally manage policy and billing for multiple GitHub.com organizations. Enterprise accounts are available with GitHub Enterprise Cloud and GitHub Enterprise Server. For more information, see "About enterprise accounts."