Note: GitHub-hosted runners are not currently supported on GitHub Enterprise Server. You can see more information about planned future support on the GitHub public roadmap.
Write access to the repository is required to perform these steps.
On your GitHub Enterprise Server instance, navigate to the main page of the repository.
Under your repository name, click Actions.
In the left sidebar, click the workflow you want to see.
From the list of workflow runs, click the name of the
in progressrun that you want to cancel.
In the upper-right corner of the workflow, click Cancel workflow.
When canceling workflow run, you may be running other software that uses resources that are related to the workflow run. To help you free up resources related to the workflow run, it may help to understand the steps GitHub performs to cancel a workflow run.
- To cancel the workflow run, the server re-evaluates
ifconditions for all currently running jobs. If the condition evaluates to
true, the job will not get canceled. For example, the condition
if: always()would evaluate to true and the job continues to run. When there is no condition, that is the equivalent of the condition
if: success(), which only runs if the previous step finished successfully.
- For jobs that need to be canceled, the server sends a cancellation message to all the runner machines with jobs that need to be canceled.
- For jobs that continue to run, the server re-evaluates
ifconditions for the unfinished steps. If the condition evaluates to
true, the step continues to run. You can use the
cancelledexpression to apply a status check of
cancelled( ). For more information see "Expressions."
- For steps that need to be canceled, the runner machine sends
SIGINT/Ctrl-Cto the step's entry process (
dockerfor container action, and
runin a step). If the process doesn't exit within 7500 ms, the runner will send
SIGTERM/Ctrl-Breakto the process, then wait for 2500 ms for the process to exit. If the process is still running, the runner kills the process tree.
- After the 5 minutes cancellation timeout period, the server will force terminate all jobs and steps that don't finish running or fail to complete the cancellation process.