When you request to add or change your team's parent, a request is sent to the maintainers of the parent team. When a maintainer of the new parent team approves your request, your team is nested as a child team under the parent team in your organization's hierarchy.
If you're an organization owner or you have team maintainer permissions in the child team and the parent team, you can add the parent team without requesting approval or change your team's parent from your team's settings page. For more information, see "Moving a team in your organization's hierarchy."
Child teams inherit the access permissions of the parent team. For more information on team hierarchies, see "About teams."
- In the top right corner of GitHub Enterprise Server, click your profile photo, then click Your profile.
- On the left side of your profile page, under "Organizations", click the icon for your organization.
- Under your organization name, click Teams.
- In the list of teams, click the name of the team you'd like to nest under a parent.
- At the top of the team page, click Settings.
- Under "Parent team", use the "Select parent team" drop-down menu and click the name of the new parent team.
- Click Save changes.
- Read about the changed repository access permissions.
- Click Confirm changes to send a request to add or change your team's parent.