Organization owners can control which users in your organization can create and use codespaces.
To use codespaces in your organization, you must do the following:
- Ensure that users have at least write access to the repositories where they want to use a codespace.
- Enable Codespaces for users in your organization. You can choose allow Codespaces for selected users or only for specific users.
- Set a spending limit
- Ensure that your organization does not have an IP address allow list enabled. For more information, see "Managing allowed IP addresses for your organization."
By default, a codespace can only access the repository from which it was created. If you want codespaces in your organization to be able to access other organization repositories that the codespace creator can access, see "Managing access and security for Codespaces."
In the top right corner of GitHub.com, click your profile photo, then click Your organizations.
Next to the organization, click Settings.
In the left sidebar, click Codespaces.
Under "User permissions", select one of the following options:
- Selected users to select specific organization members to use Codespaces.
- Allow for all members to allow all your organization members to use Codespaces.
- Allow for all members and outside collaborators to allow all your organization members as well as outside collaborators to use Codespaces.
Note: When you select Allow for all members and outside collaborators, all outside collaborators who have been added to specific repositories can create and use Codespaces. Your organization will be billed for all usage incurred by outside collaborators. For more information on managing outside collaborators, see "About outside collaborators."
- In the top right corner of GitHub.com, click your profile photo, then click Your organizations.
- Next to the organization, click Settings.
- In the left sidebar, click Codespaces.
- Under "User permissions", select Disabled.
Note: You must set a spending limit before you can use Codespaces.
By default, your organization or enterprise will have a Codespaces spending limit of $0, which prevents new codespaces from being created or existing codespaces from being opened. To allow your users to create codespaces in your organization, set the limit to a value higher than $0.
For information on managing and changing your account's spending limit, see "Managing your spending limit for Codespaces."