You can choose the default branch for a repository. The default branch is the base branch for pull requests and code commits. For more information about the default branch, see "About branches."
To change the default branch, your repository must have more than one branch. For more information, see "Creating and deleting branches within your repository."
- On GitHub AE, navigate to the main page of the repository.
- Under your repository name, click Settings.
- In the left menu, click Branches.
- Under "Default branch", to the right of the default branch name, click .
- Use the drop-down, then click a branch name.
- Click Update.
- Read the warning, then click I understand, update the default branch.