Managing disruptive comments
If you have write permissions to a repository, you can edit or delete comments.
In this article:
People with write access to a repository can edit or delete comments on issues, pull requests, and commits. Organization owners, team maintainers, and the comment author can also edit or delete a comment on a team page.
Anyone with read access to a repository can view a comment's edit history. A person with write access to the repository can delete sensitive information from the edit history. For more information, see "Tracking changes in a comment."
Editing a comment
It's appropriate to edit a comment and remove content that doesn't contribute to the conversation and violates your community's code of conduct.
When you edit a comment, note the location that the content was removed from and optionally, the reason for removing it. The edited dropdown at the top of the comment contains a history of edits showing the user and timestamp for each edit.
- Navigate to the comment you'd like to edit.
- In the upper-right corner of the comment, click , then click Edit.
- In the comment window, delete the content you'd like to remove, then type
[REDACTED]to replace it.
- At the bottom of the comment, type a note indicating that you have edited the comment, and optionally, why you edited the comment.
- Click Update comment.
Deleting a comment
Deleting a comment is your last resort as a moderator. It's appropriate to delete a comment if the entire comment adds no constructive content to a conversation and violates your community's code of conduct.
If a comment contains some constructive content that adds to the conversation in the issue or pull request, you can edit the comment instead.
Note: The initial comment (or body) of an issue or pull request can't be deleted. Instead, you can edit issue and pull request bodies to remove unwanted content.
- Navigate to the comment you'd like to delete.
- In the upper-right corner of the comment, click , then click Delete.
- Optionally, write a comment noting that you deleted a comment and why.