Managing disruptive comments
If you have write permissions to a repository, you can edit or delete comments.
In this article:
People with write access to a repository can hide, unhide, edit, or delete comments on issues, pull requests, and commits. Organization owners, team maintainers, and the comment author can also edit or delete a comment on a team page.
Anyone with read access to a repository can view a comment's edit history. A person with write access to the repository can delete sensitive information from the edit history. For more information, see "Tracking changes in a comment."
Hiding a comment
If a comment is off-topic, outdated, or resolved, you may want to hide a comment to keep a discussion focused or make a pull request easier to navigate and review. Hidden comments are minimized but people with read access to the repository can expand them.
Navigate to the comment you'd like to hide.
In the upper-right corner of the comment, click , then click Hide.
Using the "Choose a reason" drop-down menu, click a reason to hide the comment. Then click, Hide comment.
Unhiding a comment
- Navigate to the comment you'd like to unhide.
- In the upper-right corner of the comment, click Show comment.
- On the right side of the expanded comment, click , then Unhide.
Editing a comment
It's appropriate to edit a comment and remove content that doesn't contribute to the conversation and violates your community's code of conduct.
When you edit a comment, note the location that the content was removed from and optionally, the reason for removing it. The edited dropdown at the top of the comment contains a history of edits showing the user and timestamp for each edit.
- Navigate to the comment you'd like to edit.
- In the upper-right corner of the comment, click , then click Edit.
- In the comment window, delete the content you'd like to remove, then type
[REDACTED]to replace it.
- At the bottom of the comment, type a note indicating that you have edited the comment, and optionally, why you edited the comment.
- Click Update comment.
Deleting a comment
Deleting a comment is your last resort as a moderator. It's appropriate to delete a comment if the entire comment adds no constructive content to a conversation and violates your community's code of conduct.
Deleting a comment creates a timeline event that is visible to anyone with read access to the repository. However, the username of the person who deleted the comment is only visible to people with write access to the repository. For anyone without write access, the timeline event is anonymized.
If a comment contains some constructive content that adds to the conversation in the issue or pull request, you can edit the comment instead.
Note: The initial comment (or body) of an issue or pull request can't be deleted. Instead, you can edit issue and pull request bodies to remove unwanted content.
- Navigate to the comment you'd like to delete.
- In the upper-right corner of the comment, click , then click Delete.
- Optionally, write a comment noting that you deleted a comment and why.