To run a workflow manually, the workflow must be configured to run on the
workflow_dispatch event. For more information, see "Events that trigger workflows."
To trigger the
workflow_dispatch event on GitHub, your workflow must be in the default branch. Follow these steps to manually trigger a workflow run.
Read access to the repository is required to perform these steps.
- On GitHub, navigate to the main page of the repository.
- Under your repository name, click Actions.
- In the left sidebar, click the workflow you want to run.
- Above the list of workflow runs, select Run workflow.
- Select the branch where the workflow will run and type the input parameters used by the workflow. Click Run workflow.
When using the REST API, you configure the
ref as request body parameters. If the inputs are omitted, the default values defined in the workflow file are used.
For more information about using the REST API, see the "Create a workflow dispatch event."