Limiting interactions in your organization enables temporary interaction limits for all public repositories owned by the organization. Enabling an interaction limit for a repository restricts certain users from commenting, opening issues, creating pull requests, reacting with emojis, editing existing comments, and editing titles of issues and pull requests.
When you enable an interaction limit, you can choose a duration for the limit: 24 hours, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, or 6 months. After the duration of your limit passes, users can resume normal activity in your organization's public repositories.
There are three types of interaction limits.
- Limit to existing users: Limits activity for users with accounts that are less than 24 hours old who do not have prior contributions and are not collaborators.
- Limit to prior contributors: Limits activity for users who have not previously contributed to the default branch of the repository and are not collaborators.
- Limit to repository collaborators: Limits activity for users who do not have write access to the repository.
Members of the organization are not affected by any of the limit types.
When you enable organization-wide activity limitations, you can't enable or disable interaction limits on individual repositories. For more information on limiting activity for an individual repository, see "Limiting interactions in your repository."
Organization owners can also block users for a specific amount of time. After the block expires, the user is automatically unblocked. For more information, see "Blocking a user from your organization."
- In the top right corner of GitHub, click your profile photo, then click Your profile.
- On the left side of your profile page, under "Organizations", click the icon for your organization.
- Under your organization name, click Settings.
- In the organization settings sidebar, click Moderation settings.
- Under "Moderation settings", click Interaction limits.
- Under "Temporary interaction limits", to the right of the type of interaction limit you want to set, use the Enable drop-down menu, then click the duration you want for your interaction limit.